11/26/09

Clearance racks and the Goodwill store

This item on the list has seen a big change between what I thought growing up and what I think now. I know when I was young I didn’t like feeling ‘restricted’ to the clearance racks. I wanted Guess Jeans, the status symbol of the day. I wanted lots of things that were costly. Most of the time, all I really understood was that some other kids had it, so why couldn’t I?

When I started managing my own budget, the epiphany began. Now frugality is such an important part of my life and my identity: I try to be considerate of the things I want. It’s easy to want things, but my faith, my intellect, and my upbringing lead me to understand that we should not rely on material possessions for happiness.

I could just go on and on about the societal, environmental, spiritual, financial, and other reasons why it’s good to resist always wanting more. I think Mom & Dad did a great job of giving us what we needed, and more than what we needed. But, to be frank, we were not spoiled, and thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment